Sunday, March 23, 2008

Quality as a Sin

Wondered many times why the word SIN even exists. After all the religiously defined sins are all extremes. Do I need someone to remind me that extremes are bad or is just a personal index of red buttons?
Like a switch that goes off when one eat too much or one had sex more than 4 times a week?(what was the average again? oops...only 3 times a week?) And speaking about that are all extremes bad?
Now...is quality a SIN? Going by my definition it seems quite so.
Wanting best of the best of the best, SIR!
Is that sinful? Or striving to give the best thing that is there?
Of course I want what it's best...for my kids, for my family, for my customers, my team workers and even for me. But is the best the only answer? Or acceptable is as good as the best?

I must say for my part that I am (most of the time) a sinner of first degree. Always telling my kids that they should put that mug in the sink, the books back on the shelf and that DVD goes back in it's case and not on the player, close the door, wipe your feet, say hello on the phone (not Yo men! what's shaking or whatever the slang is in this age) and clean your room for God sake!
Or in day to day life. Striving for that little extra that makes your day.
Buying a newspaper (or your cream cheese bagel) and hearing the: Have a good day!
Looking for a book/movie/cd music and someone from the store giving you a little resume, that kinda makes your day (don't get me started on the "How may I help you?" 10 times in about 15 minutes - that gets me in the ballistic zone).
How about the customers where you work. And I am not talking about the CUSTOMER. I am talking about the ones waiting after you so that they continue to the next step.
Do you go the extra mile to ensure they are happy with what you are doing?
Are you happy with the ones where you are the customer?
All those little "extremes" are what is making QUALITY so great. The inner reward in the first place. Knowing you did best. And you did it right. The first time.
Maybe this is what is all about.
Doing it right the first time for that customer who asked you for that part (or service) that you are the only one doing it now.
Doing it right the first time....that have a nice ring to it. Like the sun passing through a glass filled red wine and warming your eyes with a pallet of colours or eating grapes a cold autumn morning and filling your nose and mouth with autumn.
Did you go to those extremes? I was there.
I'll say it here that I sinned...doing it right the first time. And many times, not only once. And many times after.
Wishing you the same I really hope you'll enjoy reading this blog as much as I enjoy sharing my thoughts with you. You, the reader, my quality critic and my most revered customer.

May Quality be with you! Everywhere...

No comments: